Monday 13 October 2008

New Syma Dragonfly Radio Remote Control Rc Helicopter 2ch RTF


I bought one of these a few days back and received it this morning. My first reaction was that it was cheap and nasty, yes, it's made completely of plastic and the controller looks pretty crappy. I guess when I bought it however, I wasn't expecting too much, it was $60 Australian, and any other chopper would have cost around $1000 Australian (Chopper plus controller, plus battery charger etc). When I first tried it I was very careful not to give it too much power. It span around like others have described but once I adjusted the setting (as recommended in the manual) I was able to take off without it spinning around. For my first go (the first charge) I was using it indoors but I really didn't have enough room. On the second charge I took it out to a park. I gave it a lot more and was flying it around a lot better. I managed to get it about 20 meters in the air and was able to land it properly (albeit a few crash landings). It's not easy to control, but it is so much fun!

For the amount of fun that I have had with it so far, the $60 has been worth it. It's better than going out for a few beers anyway. I can't wait to take it out again! A mate from work bought one at the same time, so we were flying them during our lunch break (not at the same time though as they use the same frequency). We had so much fun with them, I can't wait until tomorrow to take it out again!

Seriously, if you don't mind parting with the cash, it really is worth it. But, here are some answers to the questions I had when I was buying it.

-Controls: It only has Up/down, left right/controls. There are no pitch/roll controls like you would find on a better chopper. This means that you can make it take of, but you don't have a lot of control over the direction that it takes. I think with a bit more practice I'll be able to steer it better, but for now I'm concentrating on taking off, keeping it in the air and landing.

-Radio Control Unit: The left thumb stick is the up and down controls, the right sick is the left and right controls. There are no calibration settings on the controller. There is no port to use with a RC simulator either. It's very basic.

-Construction: It's made of plastic, however the plastic is pretty flexible. I've crashed it a few times and it has survived so far!

-Charge time: 3 hours

-Flying time: 10-15 minutes.

-Parts: According to the manual you can order spare parts (blades, engines etc).

After playing with this chopper I'm now really keen to buy 'real' one. It has truly been the most fun I've had in a long time!

No comments: